Training at Palm Beach SLSC
At Palm Beach SLSC we offer a range of training programs for our members. With Surf Lifesaving NSW, we offer the courses listed below. For more information, check out the upcoming courses listed at the bottom of the page or contact email@example.com.
- Bronze Medallion (https://sls.com.au/role/bronze-medallion/): This is the minimum learning requirement for a surf lifesaver. It provides knowledge and skills in surf awareness, CPR, first aid, spinal management, beach rescues and patrol communication. To undertake this award you must be able to complete a prerequisite 400m swim in under 9 minutes. For a more detailed description download the Bronze Medallion Summary & Syllabus.
- Once you've completed your Bronze Medallion, you will be required to prove that you continue to be proficient in the required knowledges and skills each year. This is called 'proficiency', and takes a maximum of two hours before / after your first patrol of the season.
- First Aid (http://www.surflifesaving.com.au/first-aid-courses): The courses are recognised across NSW as standard First Aid courses.
- Physical health first aid: Provides the knowledge and skills needed to manage emergency first aid situations and deliver competent emergency care until the arrival of professional medical support. Once completed, participants will obtain a first aid certificate that is valid for three years. The Provide First Aid course is nationally recognised Safework approved training.
- Mental health first aid: Provides the knowledge and skills to provide initial support to adults who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis.
- Spinal Management (https://sls.com.au/role/spinal-management/): Provides the knowledge and skils to manage injured casualties with suspected spinal injuries in an aquatic environment and in emergency situations. Download a copy of the course syllabus here.
- Advanced Resuscitation Techniques (https://sls.com.au/role/advanced-resuscitation-techniques-certificate-artc/): Provides participants with the skills, knowledge and application of oxygen, airway management devices, and automated external defibrillators during resuscitation, and to administer oxygen to conscious and unconscious breathing casualties. Download a copy of the course syllabus here.
- Radio Operator (https://sls.com.au/role/radio-operators-certificate/): Provides participants with the skills and knowledge to operate communications systems and equipment in surf lifesaving operations. Download a copy of the course syllabus here.
- IRB Crewperson and Driver (https://sls.com.au/role/inflatable-rescue-boat-crew-certificate/ and https://sls.com.au/role/inflatable-rescue-boat-irb-driver/): Provides the skills and knowledge to crew or drive an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) in surf rescue operations. Download a copy of the IRBC and IRBD course syllabuses.
- Rescue Water Craft (RWC) Operator (https://sls.com.au/role/rescue-water-craft-operator/): Provides advanced skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage a Rescue Water Craft (RWC, a jet ski) in lifesaving operations
- Pain Management (https://sls.com.au/role/pain-management/): Provides the skills and knowledge required by current members or employees of SLSA or its affiliated bodies to be permitted to carry and administer methoxyflurane (ie. 'the Green Whistle') as a basic pain management technique.
- Silver Medallion
- Beach Management: Provide participants with the skills, knowledge and experience required to manage a lifesaving or lifeguard team in emergency and non-emergency situations. The course is aimed at people wishing to be patrol captains or vice-captains and senior lifeguards. Download the course syllabus here.
- Aquatic Rescue: Provide participants with the skills and knowledge to participate in search and rescue operations. Download the course syllabus here.
- Gold Medallion (https://sls.com.au/role/gold-medallion-lifesaver/): Provides the advanced knowledge and skills needed to rescue and provide emergency care – alone if necessary. It is the benchmark of fitness and endurance for surf lifesaving and meets the minimum requirements for professional lifeguard work.
- Training Officer (https://sls.com.au/role/training-officer-certificate/): The aim of this course is to provide participants with the skills, knowledge and experience to deliver quality training of Surf Life Saving awards. This is a pre-requisite to being a trainer in Surf Life Saving awards.
There are no training to show.